Friday, June 20, 2003

To whom it may concern, Landmark Theatres, Inc.:

I often attend films at Landmark Theaters here in the Seattle area, and would like to request, urgently, that you stop - PLEASE - stop broadcasting your "Film is a universal language..." promotion. I ask this because the promotion's key claim is utterly, plain-and-simply, categorically, and diametrically WRONG. If you cannot see that film is an utterly cultural phenomenon, and that cultural distinctions underlie all films and set them apart from each other, then I really think you're in the wrong business.

Well...I suppose what business you're in is your business. Perhaps you will be able to excuse my exasperation. After all, I am one of the filmgoers who must suffer your promotion over and over and over, and it really is inane.

Sincerely,

Seattle